French toast is something I don’t have often. Mostly because I forget about it, which obviously is a shame because it is amazing. Such a clever way of using stale bread.
This time our freezer broke and we had lots and lots of bread all of the sudden, haha.
Here is the recipe:
- 1 slice of (stale) bread, or 2 if you are really hungry
- 1 egg
- splash of milk
- half a tablespoon of sugar
- pinch of cinnamon
- knob of butter, Ghee also works really well!
1. Get yourself a bowl/ deep plate into which you can lay down your bread later.
2. In the bowl, mix the egg, milk, sugar and cinnamon until you have something like a thin batter.
3. Soak each side of the bread in the batter for a minute or so. It should feel like a supersoaked sponge.
4. Melt the butter in a skillet and then bake the soaked slice of bread.
This is lovely with a fruity topping. Just heat a handful of berries in a pot with a tablespoon of water until the fruit is soft.